In these ever changing times, governors have a sharper role in a more autonomous system and their ability to challenge and lead is key - asking the right questions, knowing their school and understanding the data. Governor development is vital in order for governors to fulfil their role.
Through the Governor Development Officer, the Governor Services Team can provide governing boards with an audit and self-evaluation to identify areas of development and training which may be required. Following the audit, a bespoke development session or programme of sessions on specific issues and topics can be arranged.
These can be varied in length and can be held throughout the daytime or evening, convenient to each governing board. They can also be provided as cluster sessions with other governing boards in the local area.
The following are examples of development sessions which may be tailored to your governing board’s needs:
- Back to Basics
- Governor Roles and Responsibilities
- Strategic and Operational
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Skills Audit
- Challenge and Support
- Governor Visits to Schools
- The Effective Governing Board
- School Data: what this means for Governors
The bespoke sessions will also look at the School Improvement (Development) Plan, Governing Board Action Plan and Ofsted review and recommendations to encompass all areas of the school and governing board.
The sessions can be provided as part of a full package of development or as short information sessions.
What are the benefits of bespoke development?
- The development sessions will be tailored to your Governing Board’s specific needs.
- The sessions will address particular issues which have been raised through self-evaluation or outside parties.
- The sessions, whilst providing development, also provide the opportunity for teamwork and bonding as a governing board
- The timing of the sessions can be varied, depending on governors’ time constraints.
For further information on accessing development or to discuss costs, please contact Annette Harris, Governor Development Officer on 01204 332104 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org